New York State Teacher Certification
Certification by the New York State Education Department is required to become eligible for a teaching position in the New York State public school system.
The Certification Office at Roberts Wesleyan College has a dedicated full-time Certification Coordinator who is here to assist students in all phases of the certification process throughout their academic and professional careers. This includes:
- Fingerprinting for clearance
- Providing verification letters to colleges and prospective employers
- Providing information on workshops and test preparation and out of state certification information.
Students completing all program requirements and graduating from a teacher education program at Roberts will be recommended by the college to the New York State Education Department for initial certification.
The checklist below is designed to assist students working toward initial certification to keep track of their progress. This checklist is not intended to replace information provided by the New York State Education Department.
- Completion of approved teacher preparation program
- Child Abuse Workshop
- School Violence Prevention Workshop (SAVE)
- Fingerprint Clearance
- Completion of New York State Teacher Certification Exams required for each title
- LAST exam
- ATS-W exam
- Content Specialty Test
- Students with Disabilities Content Specialty Test for those seeking certification in Special Education
- Application for certification submitted electronically to NYSED, along with payment of fee
- College recommendation submitted to NYSED
For clarification or more information about initial certification, visit the New York State Education Department TEACH website at www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert.
For more information about the New York State Teacher Certification Examination, including online test registration, study guides, testing schedules, and more, go to www.nystce.nesinc.com. You may also contact the certification coordinator at Roberts Wesleyan College for test information and study materials at email@example.com.