In New York State, there are different types of teaching certificates; the most common types are Internship (entry-level certificate for students in an M.Ed. program), Initial (entry-level certificate, valid for five years) and Professional (advanced-level certificate, valid indefinitely).
Internship certificates are aimed for first time educators in a Master’s of Education program leading to certification. At Roberts, students in the Initial Certification M.Ed. program may ask for an Internship certificate if the following conditions are met:
- Complete 50% of the program requirements
- Complete DASA and fingerprinting
- Obtain a request for Internship certification from an employer
- Obtain a recommendation from the Initial Certification M.Ed. Steering Committee
Internship certificates are valid for 2 years, or until the student graduates or leaves the program. Please note that Roberts Wesleyan University students who receive Internship certificates are still expected to complete all of the student teaching requirements. Click here for more information about Internship certificates: Internship Certificate : Types of Certificates and Licenses:OTI:NYSED
Initial certificates are entry-level certificates for first time teachers. They are valid for five years; within those five years, New York State expects teachers to meet the following requirements in order to be eligible to apply for a Professional certificate.
- Complete a related Master’s degree (http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/relatedmasters.html)
- Receive a mentoring experience (Mentoring Requirement for Certification)
- Complete three years of paid teaching experience (http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/exp/classroom-professional.html)
If you do not complete all of the above requirements within five years, you may request a one-time time extension of 3 years (Time Extension of a Provisional, Initial, or Transitional Certificate:Certification from Start to Finish:OTI:NYSED). If your Initial expires before you complete the above requirements, you may apply for a one-time Initial Reissuance which is valid for 5 years (Reissuance of Expired Initial Classroom Teacher and School Building Leader Certificates).
Professional certificates are advanced-level certificates which are valid indefinitely as long as you keep up with CTLE (Continuing Teacher and Leader Education) hours (Continuing Teacher and Leader Education (CTLE) Requirements).
Once you have met the above requirements (listed under Initial Certificates) for Professional certification, you should complete the following steps:
1. Send verification of your mentoring and paid experience to NYSED. Your school may do this electronically, or you may use these forms:
- Verification of paid experience form for classroom teachers: Verification of Paid Experience for Permanent Pupil Personnel Service (PPS) and Professional Classroom Teaching Certificates
- Verification of mentoring experience form: Superintendent Verification of Mentored Experience
2. Apply through your TEACH account. If you are applying for a certificate you earned through a Master’s program, use the same program code you used for Initial certification. If you are applying for a certificate you earned through a Bachelor’s program, when the system asks for a code, click “No,” and then apply through the “Certificate Progression” pathway (you may need to send NYSED verification of your graduate hours or Master’s degree).