MSW - Admissions & Application
Roberts Wesleyan College maintains rigorous admissions standards to ensure students are prepared for the intensive social work training program. As a graduate of the MSW program, you will be thoroughly equipped to enter advanced social work practice in whatever concentration you choose.
For the Standard Program (2-years full-time; 4-years part-time):
- Bachelor’s degree in a liberal arts discipline
- Accumulated grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a scale of 4.00 (or 3.00 during the last 60 completed credit hours)
- Prerequisite courses: Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Sociology, Statistics or Research Methods, and 9-12 credits of Humanities (e.g. English, Writing, History, etc)
For the Advanced Standing Program (1 year full-time; 2 years part-time):
- Accumulated GPA of 3.00 on a scale of 4.00
- BSW from a CSWE-accredited undergraduate program
- *BSW must have been completed within five years of enrollment in Robert's program. This limit may be extended for up to 8 years if the student has post BSW social work experience.
To apply for the MSW program at Roberts Wesleyan College, you must provide:
- Official transcripts from every college or university you attended. NOTE: All official transcripts can be sent via mail to Roberts Wesleyan College "ATTN: AGE Admissions Office" 2301 Westside Drive Rochester, NY 14624.
- Three recommendation letters (including one relating to academic performance),
- An autobiographical statement, and
- A current professional résumé.
- Applicants interested in the Advanced Standing program must provide an additional writing sample and a BSW field evaluation.
The following Admissions Forms are provided to facilitate your application process.
- Admissions Checklist
- Letter of Recommendation
- Auto Biographical Statement Instructions
- Advanced Standing applicants: Required Writing Sample
- Apply Online
The Roberts Wesleyan College Master of Social Work Program has a “Rolling Admissions” process. This allows our Admissions Committee to review applications as they are completed and provides the opportunities to respond to prospective students in a timely manner. Typically, the review process takes approximately 2 to 3 weeks before a decision is made. Although, there is no actual deadline for your application to be submitted prospective students are encouraged to submit their applications at least 2 months prior to your start date.
Students who meet Advance Standing criteria may have the foundation year courses waived if the following criteria are met (in addition to the general admissions criteria):
- Demonstrate that the foundation knowledge, values, skills, and cognitive and affective functioning taught at the BSW level have been sufficiently mastered.
- Successful completion* of three Advanced Standing Courses (offered in the summer prior to beginning the concentration year).
- SWK545 Advanced Standing Seminar I
- SWK557 Advanced Standing Seminar II
- SWK565 Psychopathology
* Students must average at least a B across these three courses (with only one B- allowed) in order to begin MSW concentration year course work
Graduate credit earned at a CSWE-accredited MSW program with a grade of B or better may be transferable to the extent that the student can demonstrate equivalence to courses in the MSW degree program. Students will need to provide the program administrators with descriptions and syllabi for the courses being considered for transfer.
Transfer courses may be accepted for credit if they have been completed within five years from the time of acceptance into the MSW Program. Transfer credits earned following matriculation at Roberts will not be accepted. Applicants to the standard program may transfer up to one full year of credit from another CSWE-accredited MSW program in which they were matriculated graduate students in good standing. A minimum of 30 credits of graduate coursework is required from Roberts Wesleyan College. Academic credit is not given for life experience or previous work experience.