Teacher Education Programs, B.S. in Rochester, NY | Roberts Wesleyan University
Students in the Pathway to Teaching Program develop the knowledge and skills to become effective teachers, ready to meet New York State standards, through active engagement in small classes, classroom simulations, field experience, and student teaching.
Connect With Us
Do you have questions you need answered about the program and the admissions process? Schedule an appointment below or call or text your Adult & Graduate Enrollment Representative, Jack West, at 585.454.9597.
- March 20, 2023
At Geneva NY
- March 23, 2023
At Roberts Campus
Get More Info
Classes One Night a Week (5-9 PM)
Standard Completion Time - 21 months
Program Credits: Childhood - 48, Adolescence - 60
Cost Per Credit: $549
To be considered for enrollment in the Roberts Wesleyan teacher preparation programs, prospective students must have accumulated 60 hours of college credit and earned at least a C in their classes.
Additionally, before admittance, potential students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale and fewer than 30 hours of general education coursework left to complete. Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis for those with under a 2.5 GPA.
- Rochester City School District
- Charter Schools
- Public Schools
- Private Schools
Become a Certified Teacher
Becoming a teacher is an admirable goal, but it's not one to be taken lightly. Before teaching in the classroom, you have to earn two things: a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or teaching program and your teacher certification.
Searching "teaching programs near me" will generally reveal many opportunities for in-person and online teaching degrees. There tends to be different requirements and curriculum depending on the state. Still, there are usually teacher education schools or courses where you can earn both a degree and be recommended for certification at the same time.
Furthering Teacher Education
Once a student is certified and starts teaching, they are eligible to apply for the National Board Certification after three years.
It's a rigorous test based on current educational policy and practice that can open doors to more prestigious schools and significantly increase teachers' salaries.
Or, practicing teachers can continue their education at the graduate level and earn a graduate degree to improve their career and get their professional certification.
Roberts Wesleyan University offers several outstanding graduate programs for any interested students.
The Roberts Wesleyan teacher education program provides students with a comprehensive education on teaching in various settings.
The School of Teacher Education structures the curriculum into several modules that prospective teachers must complete consecutively to earn their hybrid (in-person and online) teaching degree.
Teacher Preparation Programs
All courses are constructed by experts in the education field, ensuring that our graduates leave the program able to excel in all areas of study. Each module is concentrated on a particular topic; these topics range from human development, special education, gifted education, ENL students,teaching in public schools, teaching young students or children in early childhood, etc.
The Roberts Wesleyan University Advantage
Roberts Wesleyan University is an educational facility dedicated to fostering the minds of our students and their characters as well. Our well-rounded teacher pathways developed by the School of Teacher Education target spiritual, mental, and emotional growth so that all future educators can handle any situation that arises in their schools, with distinction.
Modular design that is delivered one course at a time
Coaching through the certification process
Interview prep with local principals and superintendents
Review sessions for certification exams
Teacher Immersion Fellowship Program (paid work in schools while enrolled)
- Adolescence and Special Education, M.Ed. - Prepare for New York State teaching certification and earn a Masters in Adolescence Education, as well as a Masters in Adolescence Special Education (Grades 7-12) in an affordable and flexible dual certification program developed for time constrained adults.
- Childhood and Special Education, M.Ed. - Prepare for New York State teaching certification and earn a Masters in Childhood Education, as well as a Masters in Childhood Special Education (Grades 1-6) in an affordable and flexible dual certification program developed for time constrained adults.
- Literacy Education, M.Ed. - Build on your existing certification as you take advantage of the growing demand for literacy specialists, with a Literacy Education, M.Ed. from Roberts Wesleyan University.
- Special Education, M.Ed. - Interested in a Masters in Special Education? Build on your existing certification to become a highly qualified teacher of students with disabilities, with a Special Education M.Ed. from Roberts Wesleyan University.