State Aid

New York State

The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is a grant awarded to undergraduate students who are permanent residents of NYS and meet other qualifying criteria.

Undergraduate students who are NYS residents may receive up to four years (8 semesters) of TAP for full-time study.  Under certain conditions, part-time students may also be eligible for a limited amount of TAP.


 How to Apply for TAP: 

1)  Apply Online for Federal Aid

  • The TAP application process begins with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at, or download the new FAFSA App (Google Play or Apple (iOS) Store) to complete it on your mobile device.
  • NYS Higher Education Services Cororation, HESC, will use the FAFSA as part of your online TAP application.

2)  Complete Your Online TAP Application by either:

  • Link to the TAP application from your FAFSA Confirmation Page. You will be directed to the NY website to authenticate your identity and set up your HESC User ID and PIN. Review your application, complete any missing information, and sign electronically.
  • Apply directly to
  • Complete the TAP Express applicaton upon receipt of email notification from HESC.

Other States

Students who are residents of the following states may qualify for home state aid if they attend a college in New York State. Contact a high school guidance counselor or your state agencies for details.

  • Delaware
  • Rhode Island
  • Vermont

 Contact: Laura McClelland, Financial Aid Specialist

(585) 594-6326 or email at