NewsJuly 10, 2019
Roberts Launches The Community Institutes
Initiative focuses on community impact through customized educational solutions
Since 1866, Roberts Wesleyan College has provided outstanding education and demonstrated the effectiveness of a community of learners that also values sharing its training resources. Today, the college is launching The Community Institutes at Roberts Wesleyan College to provide custom educational solutions and resources to Rochester-area businesses and organizations.
The Community Institutes will provide certificate and training programs, separate from the degree-based education the college already offers, meeting significant and unserved demands of companies and organizations that seek to provide effective learning to gain real-world experience and insight. The college will draw upon faculty and community experts to provide training, research-based solutions and programs to effectively address their needs. Roberts intentionally began planning for this initiative in 2016 as part the institution’s strategic map.
The Community Institutes will focus on building mutually beneficial relationships with organizations in Greater Rochester through improved communication in multilingual business settings, specialized corporate training, and serving as a go-to resource for businesses, government, health care administration, law enforcement, school districts and churches.
“We have heard from local businesses and thought leaders that programs of this nature would most certainly be welcomed and utilized by the Greater Rochester community,” President Deana L. Porterfield said. “The college is already working with corporate partners, including approximately 50 organizations, such as Greater Rochester Enterprise, the Canandaigua City School District and Fairport police.”
The initiative includes four Community Institutes:
- The Justice and Security Institute, established in 2016, seeks to create safe and thriving communities where people are equipped to live without fear. JSI has been leading threat assessment training, conducting research and fostering dialogue in the areas of homeland security, social justice and restorative justice.
- The Business Solutions Institute, launching in July 2019, represents a continued focus on workforce development by supporting small- to medium-sized businesses, fulfilling training needs as they compete in today’s challenging marketplace. BSI will focus on the delivery of targeted solutions to grow revenues, enhance productivity and build skill sets. Customized training may include:
- Leadership development
- Management, sales and customer service training
- Marketing training and events
- Leadership in healthcare
- Starting a small business
- Personal/business money management
- Human diversity and organizational ethics
- The English Language Institute, a vital program that has been enrolling students since fall 2011, demonstrates a way to value and embrace all nationalities while providing upward mobility through education for all who call Rochester their home. The ELI is an intensive English program focused on developing language and cultural competencies and will expand to include a Global Education Series providing English language training for adults.
- The Intellectual and Spiritual Humility Institute launched in spring 2019. ISHI provides teaching opportunities focused on bringing communities together in a polarized society, creating space for the respect and dignity of all people.
For more information about The Community Institutes at Roberts Wesleyan College, click here.
For more news articles, you can take a look at our archive.