Rochester is the third largest city in New York State with ample opportunity for professional experience in your area(s) of interest. The Internship provides the hands-on culmination of the Communication major.
What purpose does an internship serve?
- Meaningful contribution to an organization, agency, or business
- Practical application of the Communication major and one's Concentration(s)
- Integration of classroom learning with professional experience
- Exploration of possible careers while strengthening one's résumé
Where do students complete internships?
- Batavia Daily News; Messenger Post Newspapers; BOA Editions, Ltd.
- Offices: Rochester's Mayor, District Attorney, Congresswoman Louise Slaughter
- Television's ABC affialte, WXXI Public Television and Radio
- Marketing/Advertising agencies: e.g. Dixon Schwabl, Premier HRSolutions
- George Eastman House, Dryden Theatre, Rochester Broadway Theatre League
- Rochester Philharmonic, Eastman Sibley Music Library
- Service agencies: Catholic Family Center, American Red Cross, Visiting Nurse Services, Make-A-Wish Foundation, AIDS Rochester, 4-H
What do graduates say?
"My internship at Roberts Communications gave me a chance to write press releases, research the history and media coverage of clients, and participate in re-branding teams. It was exciting for me to realize how well-prepared I was for working in the field of communication and how much I could contribute to the company. It inspired me to start Annie Laurie Design, a small marketing company that specialized in branding for non-profit organizations and entrepreneurs." -Annie Laurie Nichols, 2005, Ph.D. student at University of Maryland
“During my final semester at Roberts, I interned at Boa Editions, a nationally known poetry press located in Rochester. At Boa, I was able to participate in all aspects of the publishing process from creating press kits to proofreading manuscripts, including the collected works of Lucille Clifton. I’m grateful that the broadness of the Communication Program allowed me to find an internship in a field that I’m truly passionate about.” -Samantha Monaghan, 2011, Administrative Assistant, Humanities Office, Roberts Wesleyan College