July 19, 2017
Roberts Wesleyan College Named a 2017 Great College to Work For
Honor by The Chronicle of Higher Education Puts Local Institution on Elite List Third Year in a Row
Roberts has been named on the 2017 Great Colleges to Work For list by The Chronicle of Higher Education, one of the largest and most respected workplace-recognition programs in the country.
Now in its 10th year, Great Colleges to Work For recognizes the colleges that get top ratings from their employees on workforce practices and policies. A total of 79 colleges have been recognized on the list, out of the 232 participating institutions that applied. Employees from Roberts Wesleyan College participated in the survey.
Roberts Wesleyan College was recognized in the following eight categories:
- Collaborative Governance: Faculty members are appropriately involved in decisions related to academic programs.
- Confidence in Senior Leadership: Leaders have the necessary knowledge, skills and experience for institutional success.
- Facilities, Workspace & Security: Facilities adequately meet needs, the appearance of the campus is pleasing, and the institution takes steps to provide a secure environment.
- Job Satisfaction (new recognition this year): Provides insight into the satisfaction with job fit, autonomy and resources.
- Respect and Appreciation (new recognition this year): Employees are regularly recognized for their contributions.
- Tenure Clarity & Process (new recognition this year):Requirements for tenure are clear, faculty members say.
- Work/Life Balance: Policies give employees the flexibility to manage their personal lives.
- Supervisor/Department Chair Relationships: Supervisor makes expectations clear and solicits ideas.
Roberts Wesleyan was also one of 42 institutions to receive the “Honor Roll” designation for stand-out universities in its size categories.
“What an honor and blessing to be part of this impressive list yet again for the third year in a row,” said President Deana L. Porterfield. “We strive to provide an engaged campus culture that is God-honoring and has a positive impact in the lives of our students. Our employees are what make Roberts a unique community. This recognition allows us the opportunity to celebrate the great work happening at Roberts Wesleyan College.”
Competing against hundreds of institutions across the country, Roberts Wesleyan College participated in a rigorous selection process, which included a two-part assessment: an institutional audit that captured demographics and workplace policies, and a survey administered to faculty, administrators and staff. The primary factor in deciding whether an institution received recognition was the employee feedback.
“Ten years in, the Great Colleges to Work For distinction is well-known by academic jobseekers as a sign that an institution’s employees are valued and given opportunities for growth even when they face financial constraints,” said Liz McMillen, editor of The Chronicle. “Any college or university that’s on the list is showing that they emphasize one of their most valuable assets: their faculty and staff.”
For more information and to view all the results of the survey, click here.
For more news articles, you can take a look at our archive.