Home - Wellness Center - Immunization Requirements

Immunization Requirements

Main content

New York State Public Health Law 2165 requires all NYS college/seminary students born after 1956, enrolled in 6 credit hours or more provide evidence of protection against measles, mumps, and rubella. Proof can be demonstrated in the following ways: documentation of 2 doses of measles and one dose each of mumps and rubella vaccine; documentation of two MMRs (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine given at least 28 days apart; or serologic evidence of immunity - titer tests (blood tests) showing proof of immunity from these diseases are also acceptable.

New York State Public Health Law 2167 requires all college/seminary students, REGARDLESS OF AGE, to provide either proof of meningococcal vaccine or a signed (by the student) declination statement.

There are six exceptions:

  • A student may be permanently or temporarily exempted from specific required immunizations for medical reasons.
  • A student may be exempt from any or all of the required immunizations for religious reasons.
  • Students who were born prior to January 1, 1957, are exempt from the MMR requirements.
  • The law does not apply to students enrolled for fewer than six semester hours.
  • Prison inmates enrolled at degree granting institutions while they are incarcerated are also exempt.
  • Students registered for online courses only and who do not meet on campus are not required to meet the immunization requirements.

Your physician and previous high school or college is often the best source for immunization records. Also, military and employment records are acceptable; however, these records may not satisfy all requirements.

The Health History & Immunization form and documents must be on file in the Health Center before the start of the semester. Athletic students and nursing students will need to submit more information. Please check with the athletic department and Nursing Department.

All New York State educational institutions are required to exclude non-compliant students from the premises. Violations of NYS PHL 2165 and 2167 may result in the imposition of a penalty of up to $2,000 per student.

To maintain confidentially and expedite your submission, please send your documents directly to the Health Center via mail, email (at your discretion) or our secure fax to (585) 594-6920. Due to the significant amount of submissions, the processing and posting may take up to a week. 

FORM - MMR, Varicalla, Help B (required)