The Music Minor requires completion of 18 semester hours, including 6 semester hours in theory and/or music history. No more than 8 semester hours of ensemble may be elected, and not more than 10 semester hours in applied music my be elected to fulfill requirements for the minor.
For those students who are interested in Jazz studies and performance at the college level, Roberts offers several performance opportunities. The Roberts Jazz Ensemble performs one major concert each semester, in addition to several off-campus performances. Jazz combos perform several times each semester, at music seminars, social events, and the highly popular “Jazz and Dessert” concert held on a Friday and Saturday evening each semester. “The Great American Songbook” recital is held each semester and features the jazz vocalists in performance with top professional jazz musicians from the Rochester area.
Courses in Jazz Minor
- MUS 101 Theory I
- MUS 101a Aural Skills I
- MUS 102 Theory II
- MUS 102a Aural Skills II
- MUS 120 Jazz History
- MUS 300 Jazz Arranging and Composing
- MUS 330 Jazz Theory and Improvisation
- MUS 1021 Jazz Improvisation
- MUS 264 Jazz Ensemble
- MUS 266 Jazz Combo
The Theater minor requires 21 hours as follows:
- 18 hours of core courses: THR 201-History of Theater, THR 210-Acting, THR 220-Script Analysis, THR 230-Stagecraft, CMC 310-Oral Interpretation, LIT 303-Shakespeare;
- 3 hours of electives from: FNA 102-Intro to Dance, MUS 310(2 or 1)-Musical Stage Production, THR 450-choose any combination of the following: RWC student production (1), RWCCT (1), off-site practicum (1).