Study Abroad in Brazil
As part of the Global Honors Program, you will be able to travel to Brazil for three weeks!
Before you go, you will take a course to learn about the culture & history of Brazil, as well as basic Portuguese vocabulary.
At the end of your sophomore year, you, your classmates and faculty members will travel to Brazil, starting in Sao Paulo and ending in Rio de Janeiro.
The on-location course in Brazil will consist of four major components:
A program at the Methodist University of São Paulo
This is where you'll build the foundation for your trip, including:
- Welcome Reception and Tour of São Paulo
- Portuguese Lessons
- Capoeira (Brazilian martial arts) Workshop
- Lectures and Site Visit on Sustainability in Brazil
- Lectures on Human Rights in Brazil
Work with 27 Million, an anti-human trafficking agency, in São Paulo
Twenty-seven million is a conservative estimate of the number of sex and labor slaves in our world today. According to a report on Child Exploitation by the United Nations in 2001, Brazil ranks first in the Sexual Exploitation of Children and Adolescents in Latin America and second in the world. 27 Million is involved in prevention, intervention and rehabilitation.
You might work on one of the following projects:
- Prevention: 27 Million travels to vulnerable areas in and around São Paulo, handing out food and clothing and educating parents on methods that Human Traffickers use.
- Intervention: 27 Million hosts block parties in red light districts to establish relationships with the women and children who work in the brothels as well as those who operate the brothels.
- Rehabilitation: 27 Million is partnering with a local group to help victims of Human Trafficking learn the trade of tailoring. Additionally, 27 Million is partnering with another local organization to open a Rescue Home in São Paulo next year where victims of human trafficking will receive health care, education, counseling and learn a trade.
You will be able to shadow someone in a job in your field of study, allowing you to explore your major in an international context.
Travel to Rio de Janeiro
You will tour the city, relax on the beach, and experience Brazilian art and music.