Justice and Security Institute
Mission Statement of the Justice Security Institute:
Being committed to socially responsible engagement in society, and extending compassion, mercy, and justice to all people, Roberts Wesleyan College seeks to be a local leader in fostering dialogue, research, evaluation, and training to enhance policy and practice in the areas of Homeland Security, Social Justice, and Restorative Justice.
Training We Offer*
- Threat Assessment and Management Strategies for schools, colleges, and the workplace
- Balancing Your Bias and Cultural Competency Training for Police Officers, Corporate, and Campus Security
- Protecting Houses of Worship
- Leadership training
- Ethics training
- Protecting Intellectual Property Rights & Confidential Information from Insider Threats and Foreign Espionage
- Counterterrorism Training for Public & Private Sectors
*Please contact the JSI for pricing: firstname.lastname@example.org or (585) 594-6488
Contacts for Training Requests
Testimonials from Previous Clients
The Canandaigua City School District is very pleased with the training it received on Threat Assessment and Management. The District’s Behavior Intervention Team that was formed after the training is a significant step forward in ensuring the safety of our students, faculty, and staff. The ongoing support that Mark and Rob continue to provide has also been valuable for the success of our team.
The threat assessment training provided our school system a framework to support the district's learning environment. This training provided the necessary background, relevant case studies, and protocols to follow should a situation arise. Our district (Spencerport School District) is in a much better position to respond accordingly based on this training and would recommend any school district to consider it for their organization.
Roberts Wesleyan College has provided the Fairport Police in the past with incredible perspective and valued training on the principles of threat assessment that has parlayed into a highly functioning behavioral intervention team in our community. Absent the commitment, knowledge, expertise and effective instruction, our ability to have a functioning threat assessment team would not have been realized. We are fortunate to have this invaluable academic resource in our community to ensure our community’s security and safety. - Samuel A. Farina, Jr. - Fairport Village Police Chief
The assistance of the Roberts Wesleyan Justice and Security Institute has been invaluable. The institute has provided training, facilitated training, help develop curriculum, and been there for me anytime I needed assistance. The JSI has assisted me with training my officers in Fair and Impartial Policing, Ethics, and Threat Assessment. This training was absolutely vital to my police department. The JSI is without question a very valuable community resource and I am very grateful to have it in our community. - Greece Police Chief Patrick Phelan
The threat assessment training and implementation of our Behavior Intervention Team (BIT) came at a time when we needed to update our process and procedures. The training Mark and Rob provided was well received by our administrative team and mental health staff. Our BIT team is in full implementation and proving to be very valuable. - Deb Miles, Fairport Schools
The Institute focuses its leadership on the following:
- Education, research, and evaluation of the social issue of intended violence that manifests in workplace and educational institution mass shootings, domestic violence homicide, terrorism, and hate crimes
- Collaborative, multidisciplinary stakeholder dialogue about and evaluation of threat assessment and management strategies
- The creation of mechanisms for the effective reporting and sharing of concerning behaviors, culminating in the implementation of a county-wide threat assessment team for responding to active threats
- Collaborative research, evaluation and training in the broad area of Social and Restorative Justice issues, and more specifically in the policy and practice thereof.
A few of our past consultations and trainings include:
- Consulting on and training for the creation of new Threat Response Protocol for the County of Monroe Sheriff’s Department and the Town of Greece Police Department
- Consultation on the creation of a Behavior Intervention Team with a threat management emphasis) for the Fairport Police, and Fairport, Spencerport, Greece, and Canandaigua School Districts.
- National Presentation for the Association of Threat Assessment Professionals Winter Conference on the applicability of Threat Assessment Investigative tools for counterterrorism professionals.
- Consulted on the development of mental health awareness training for federal Law Enforcement Officers for the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Collaborated with mental health professionals to design and present a one-day seminar on Threat Assessment for area stakeholders. Representatives from law enforcement, domestic violence prevention and support groups, k-12 security, higher education security, veterans groups, and private and public security were in attendance.
JSI In the News
Gift is Largest in College’s History Roberts Wesleyan College announced today that it has r...(Read More)
Joe Testani, Director of the Justice and Security Institute, was interviewed by WROC-Ch. 8 yesterd...(Read More)