Student Life

Accommodations At The Learning Center

For students with a disability, college can be especially challenging. Whether the disability is physical, medical, or learning, Roberts Wesleyan College is committed to helping all students reach their academic goals.
Based on individual needs, the Learning Center provides services, programs and accommodations for students with disabilities. As early as possible, a student in need of accommodations should contact the Learning Center where a learning specialist can assist in planning for appropriate accommodations or auxiliary aids. All students who request services must provide adequate proof of a disability before any accommodations can be provided.

What types of accommodations are available for students with disabilities?

Accommodations are determined on an individual basis. Some of the more common accommodations include extended time for testing, alternate location for testing, note-takers, access to a computer and spell checker. In addition, peer tutoring, study groups and skill development workshops are available for all students.

What should I do if I have a disability or am in need of special accommodations?

If you need any special services or accommodations you should meet with someone from the Learning Center to share your academic history and needs. Unlike high school, no one on campus will know that you are in need of special modifications unless you decide to share that information. It is important for you to know that disclosure of a disability is a personal and voluntary decision. Any information that you choose to share will be kept confidential unless you decide that the information can be shared.

What does "adequate proof of a disability" mean?

To prove a disability you must provide documentation that a disability exists, and evidence that the disability currently requires modifications, academic adjustments or services. Appropriate documentation includes a psychological and educational evaluation, a medical evaluation and/or a neurological evaluation.

Who can provide the documentation?

Documentation MUST be from a professional source who is qualified to diagnose disabilities.

Example of professionals who can diagnose:

  • A licensed audiologist can diagnose hearing impairment
  • A current psycho-educational evaluation by a psychologist or a qualified Learning Specialist can diagnose learning disabilities.
  • A Medical Doctor or Neuropsychologist can diagnose ADHD however: evidence of interference with academic abilities may be requested.

What should be included in the documentation?

Documentation must be on professional letterhead, with the professional's name and credentials, and must include a statement of disability or diagnosis and current status of the disability. In the case of learning disabilities, rationales for specific accommodations should be included. (For example, the need for a note-taker for a student with a reading disability should be explained in the documentation.) You should also include educational reports, academic transcript, a copy of a statement of performance (SOP), or any other information that you believe will help illustrate your needs.

How much do special services cost?

Roberts Wesleyan College, in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) provides reasonable accommodations and services at no cost to eligible students.

However, the cost of obtaining documentation from a qualified professional is the responsibility of the student.