Student Life

Personal Vehicles

Private Automobile Insurance Coverage Requirements

It is strongly encouraged that college-owned, leased, and rented vehicles be used for all college business travel.  

If you are using your personal vehicle for college business, your personal insurance provides the primary coverage in case of accident or loss.

About coverage:  Employees choosing to not use college owned, rented, or leased vehicles are responsible for ensuring that their vehicles are sufficiently insured.  The college's insurance policies do not provide coverage for damage or loss to personal vehicles used for business travel.

Minimum liability requirements:  If you are using a private vehicle on college business, your automobile must be insured to meet New York State's minimum liability coverage:

  • $50,000 for personal injury to or death of one person
  • $100,000 for injury to or death of two or more persons in one accident
  • $50,000 for property damage

Damage to private automobiles: If your private vehicle is damaged when you are using it to conduct college business, contact your own automobile insurance company to find out coverage, make claims, and to arrange for repairs.

Reimbursement for damage:  The College does not reimburse deductible amounts relating to loss or damages while using a personal vehicle for college business.


Do you want to use an RWC vehicle?
Joan Davis x6160,
Security 594-6170
Security website