Inspection and Review
Explanation or Interpretation
A formal hearing and the challenge of contents
Inspection and Review: Students have the right to inspect and review their education records. Requests for access to education records should be submitted in writing directly to the school official responsible for the record's custody. A standard form, "Request to Review Academic Record," is available in the Registration Office. In general, access will be granted within 72 hours upon request to the record custodian, but if a delay is necessary, access will be granted no later than 45 days after the request.
Roberts Wesleyan College reserves the right to refuse to permit students from viewing the following records.)
• Financial information submitted by parents
• Confidential letters or statements of recommendation submitted prior to January 1, 1975
• Letters that the student has waived the right to view
• Education records containing information on more than one student
• Sole Possession Records of staff and faculty maintaining personal notes in student's folders. However, any material in the folder when it is transferred to another record keeper (e.g. Advisor, finance officer, Student Services, or professor) is no longer personal, and is, therefore, subject to the policies governing access.
Explanation and Interpretation: Students will be granted an explanation of their records upon request to the appropriate department personnel.
Formal Hearing and the Challenge of Contents: A student wishing to challenge any item on file must submit a "Request for a Hearing to Challenge Educational Records" form with the Registrar who will pass the request on to the appropriate department head. The department head will research the information under dispute and/or arrange a formal hearing. Upon reviewing the information, the Department Head will forward a copy of the findings to the registrar and the student. After the review of the dispute or formal hearing, if the student's dispute is denied, a written statement from the student regarding his/her views about the dispute may be written and enclosed in the permanent file.
File Complaint: Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning any alleged violations of FERPA by Roberts Wesleyan College.
Send complaints to the following address:
Family Policy Compliance Office
US Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901
The following applies to complaints made:
• Submitted no later than 180 days from the date you learned of the circumstances of the alleged violation
• Contain specific allegations of fact giving reasonable cause to believe that a violation has occurred, including:
• Relevant dates, such as the date of a request or a disclosure and the date the student learned of the alleged violation;
• Names and titles of those school officials and other third parties involved;
• A specific description of the education record around which the alleged violation occurred;
• A description of any contact with school officials regarding the matter, including dates and estimated times of telephone calls and/or copies of any correspondence exchanged between the student and the school regarding the matter;
• The name and address of the school
• Any additional evidence that would be helpful in the consideration of the complaint.
Referenced from U.S Department of Education & AACRAO