Loading the player...
Overview Of Field Instruction
Field instruction is an integral part of the Master of Social Work Program. Graduate Social Work Faculty, in close cooperation with the agency field instructors and the student, select and organize the learning experience on an individual basis for each student. This process is administered and organized by the Director of Field Education. A general pattern for field instruction is utilized, but adapted to individual student needs and the unique opportunities available in a given agency. Agency affiliation with the College includes a description of the agency and the learning opportunities offered by the agency for student review. Student interest and learning needs are central in the process of selecting field opportunities.
The purpose of field instruction is to facilitate the student in acquiring the skills necessary to function in a practice setting, integrating and applying the theoretical classroom material to actual client system contacts. This knowledge is incorporated in the field instruction objectives. Key among these objectives is the development of knowledge, values, and skills common to generalist practice in the first (foundation) year and the development of advanced knowledge, values, and skills in an area of concentration in the second (advanced) year.
Download the Field Mannual
Assignment of Field Placements
Each year the Director of Field Education will communicate to each student, who indicates an intention to be enrolled in field, the procedure for placement selection. Under no circumstance are students to initiate the selection of a field placement outside of the selection process established by the Director of Field Education and approved by the faculty.
- AIDS Rochester
- Allegany Rehabilitation Assoc. Inc.
- Alternatives for Battered Women (ABW)
- ARC of Monroe
- Baber AME Church
- Bethany Christian Services
- Brockport Central School District
- Camp Good Days and Special Times
- Canandaigua City School District
- Catholic Charities of Livingston County
- Catholic Charities of Western New York
- Catholic Family Center
- CDS (Continuing Developmental Services)
- Center for Youth Services
- Churchville Chili Central School District
- Conifer Counseling Services
- DePaul Mental Health-North Chili Residence
- East Irondequoit Central School District (EICSD)
- East Rochester School District
- Fairport Central School District
- Finger Lakes Drug Court
- Gates Chili Central School District
- Grace Community Village, Inc.
- Greece Central School District
- Highland Hospital
- Hillside Family of Agencies
- Huther Doyle
- Kendall Central School District
- Lake Avenue Baptist Church
- Lifetime Assistance (LAICO )
- Monroe 2 - Orleans BOCES
- Monroe Community Hospital
- Monroe County DHS / Adult Protective Services
- Monroe County DHS / Child Protective Services
- Monroe County DHS / SOAR Program
- NYS Office of Children and Family Services
- Orleans County Mental Health
- Pluta Cancer Center
- RAIHN (Rochester Area Interfaith Hospitality Network)
- Restart Substance Abuse Services
- Rochester City School District
- Rochester General Hospital
- Rochester Mental Health Center
- Rochester Presbyterian Home
- Rochester Psychiatric Center
- Rochester School for the Deaf (RSD)
- RWC Counseling Center
- Safe Journey
- SPCC (Society for the Protection and Care of Children)
- Spencerport Central Schools
- St Ann's Community
- St. John's Home
- St. Joseph's Villa
- Successful Pathways, Inc.
- The Norman Howard School
- Thompson Health
- Two Doors Community Resource Center, Inc.
- Unity Health Systems
- University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC)
- Visiting Nurse Services (VNS)
Contact the Director of Field Education with questions.