Computer Science, B.S.
Computer Science focuses on blending the current computer skills required in the constantly changing workplace with the mathematical and scientific foundation needed to integrate that technology within a wide range of disciplines.
SPECIFICS OF THE COMPUTER SCIENCE B.S. DEGREE
Minimum Total Hours: 124
Total Liberal Arts Hours Required: 60
General Education Requirements: Per General Education list (see General Education Division). Exceptions: the history, economics, or social sciences elective and mathematics proficiency requirements are met through the major; the behavioral science and lab science requirements may be met through the major depending on electives selected.
Minimum Requirements: Overall and major GPA of 2.0; no grade less than C- in the major.
Transfer Requirements: See institutional transfer policies.
Application to the Major: Standard institutional major application should be submitted at the end of the sophomore year. A minimum overall GPA of 2.0 is required for acceptance to the major. Major acceptance is required for some upper-level courses including CSC 450.
Major Requirements: 65 hours.
- Computer science core: CSC 140, 145, 198, 245, 250, 311, 345, and 398;
- Nine semester hours of computer science electives at the 300- or 400-level;
- Internship or Senior Project: CSC 450 or CSC 498 – No more than 6 hours combined;
- Statistics: MTH 200 or 303;
- Mathematics: MTH 270, 281, 282, and 305;
- Communication course: CMC 200-level or above and advisor approval;
- Economics: ECN 200;
- Nine semester hours of elective courses are to be chosen from among the following and from no more than two departments:
- Mathematics: MTH 283, 302, 404;
- Physics: PHY 101 or 201, 102 or 202, 203;
- Chemistry: CHM 111 with lab, 112 with lab;
- Biology: BIO 101 with lab, 102 with lab;
- Business: BUA 101, MGT 201, PSY 260.