MSW - Admissions & Application
Roberts Wesleyan College maintains rigorous admissions standards to ensure students are prepared for the intensive social work training program. As a graduate of the MSW program, you will be thoroughly equipped to enter advanced social work practice in whatever concentration you choose.
For the 2-Year Program (including Part-Time format):
- Bachelor’s degree in a liberal arts discipline
- Accumulated grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a scale of 4.00 or 3.00 during the last 60 completed credit hours
- Prerequisite courses: Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Sociology, Statistics or Research Methods, and 9-12 credits of Humanities (e.g. English, Writing, History, etc)
In addition, applicants to the Advanced Standing program will need:
- Accumulated GPA of 3.00 on a scale of 4.00
- BSW from a CSWE-accredited undergraduate program
If you are having trouble finding housing, please contact Jim Sheets, Director of Graduate Admissions, and he will be able to further assist you.
To apply for the MSW program at Roberts Wesleyan College, you must provide official transcripts from every college or university you attended, three recommendation letters (including one relating to academic performance), a type-written autobiographical statement, and a current professional résumé. Additionally, applicants interested in the Advanced Standing program must provide an additional writing sample and a BSW field evaluation.
The following Admissions Forms are provided to facilitate your application process.
The Roberts Wesleyan College Master of Social Work Program has a “Rolling Admissions” process. This allows our Admissions Committee to review applications as they become complete and gives us the ability to get back to prospective students in a timely manner. Typically, a completed application will take about 2 to 3 weeks to go through admissions committee and receive a decision. Although, there is no actual deadline for your application to be submitted we do encourage prospective students to try and have their applications completed and at the committee about 2 months prior to your start date.
Students who meet Advance Standing criteria may have the foundation year courses waived. To be eligible for Advanced Standing, applicants must:
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree from an undergraduate social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education*, with an overall GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Provide recommendations and autobiography that exhibits readiness to begin at the advanced level of graduate education and social work practice
- Demonstrate that the foundation knowledge, values, and skills provided at the B.S.W. level is comparable to, and has been sufficiently mastered to, begin the MSW concentration year
- Master foundational knowledge, values, and skills unique to the mission of the Roberts Wesleyan College MSW program prior to beginning the concentration year
*B.S.W. must have been completed within five years of enrollment in Robert’s program. This limit may be extended for up to 8 years if the student has post-BSW social work experience.
Three courses are required in the summer prior to beginning the concentration year:
- SWK545 Advanced Standing Seminar I
- SWK557 Advanced Standing Seminar II
- SWK565 Psychopathology
Graduate credit earned in accredited graduate schools and carrying a grade of B or better will be transferable toward an advanced degree at Roberts Wesleyan College to the extent that the student can demonstrate equivalence to course(s) in the RWC degree program and pending approval by The Department of Social Work and Social Sciences. This equivalence can be demonstrated by students providing the Department and their advisors with catalog course descriptions, course syllabi, and completed assignments for the courses being considered for transfer.
A maximum of 12 credits taken on a non-matriculated basis may be transferred toward the 60-credit MSW degree requirement. Transfer courses may be accepted for credit if they have been completed five years from the time of acceptance into the MSW Program. Transfer credits earned following matriculation at Roberts will not be accepted. Applicants to the 2-year program may transfer up to one full year of credit from another CSWE-accredited MSW program in which they were matriculated graduate students in good standing. A minimum of 30 credits of graduate coursework is required from Roberts Wesleyan College. Academic credit is not given for life experience or previous work experience.
Call: 585.594.6600 | 800.777.4792 (toll free)