- Ph.D. (2008) – Washington University in St. Louis
- MSW (2001) – Washington University in St. Louis
- BSW (1999) – Spring Arbor University
Research & Special Interests:
- Positive youth development
- International social work
- Environmental justice
- Harris, J. K., Carothers, B. J., Luke, D. A., Silmere, H., McBride, T. D., & Pion, M. (2012). Exempting casinos from the Smoke-free Illinois Act will not bring patrons back. They never left. Tobacco Control, 21, 373-376. doi:10.1136/tc.2010.042127
- Proctor, E., Silmere, H., Raghavan, R., Hovmand, P., Aarons, G., Bunger, A., Griffery, R., & Hensley, M. (2011). Outcomes for implementation research: Conceptual distinctions, measurement challenges, and research agenda. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 38, 65-76.
- Silmere, H. (2008). Koolinoorte probleemne joomine: Ülevaade riski- ja kaitseteguritest ning soovitused ennetustööks (Problem drinking among students: Overview of risk and protective factors and implications for prevention). Sotsiaaltöö, 5, 61-68. [In Estonian]
- Stiffman, A. R., Alexander-Eitzman, B., Silmere, H., Osborne, V., & Brown, E. (2007). From early to late adolescence: American Indian youths' behavioral trajectories and their major influences. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 46, 849-858.
- Silmere, H., & Stiffman, A. R. (2006). Factors associated with successful functioning in American Indian youths. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research, 13, 23-47.
- Stiffman, A. R., Freedenthal, S., Dore, P., Ostmann, E., Osborne, V., & Silmere, H. (2006). The role of providers in mental health services offered to American-Indian youths. Psychiatric Services, 57, 1185-1191.
Recent Presentations (past 5 years):
- Chaddock, T., & Silmere. H. (2015). International social work: Applying the literature to a course in Estonia. Paper presented at the 65th Annual NACSW Convention. Grand Rapids, MI.
- Silmere, H. (2014). The little country that could: Examples of social change from Estonia. Paper presented at the 64th Annual NACSW Convention. Annapolis, MD.
- Silmere, H., & Eisenreich, A. (2013). Positive youth development: What is it and how can we measure it? Paper presented at the 63rd Annual NACSW Convention. Atlanta, GA.
- Chaddock, T., & Silmere, H. (2013). Ecological stewardship and social justice: Why should social workers care? Paper presented at the 63rd Annual NACSW Convention. Atlanta, GA.
- Silmere, H., & Eisenreich, A. (2013). Measuring positive youth development: What outcomes are actually measured by youth development programs? Paper accepted for presentation at the 17th Annual Society for Social Work and Research Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Silmere, H., & Lanpher, B. (2011). Integrating social work practice and research: Guidelines, examples, barriers, and dilemmas. Paper presented at the NACSW 2011 Convention. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Chaddock, T., Silmere, H., & Haller, D. (2011). Teaching and using evidence based practice as a process: Reflections on value tensions and experience of teaching EBP. Paper presented at the NACSW 2011 Convention. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Silmere, H. (2011). Relationship between select community characteristics and youth behaviors: Focus on an Eastern European setting. Paper presented at the 15th Annual Society for Social Work and Research Conference. Tampa, FL.
- Council on Social Work Education
- North American Association of Christians in Social Work
- Society for Social Work and Research
Courses Teaching at RWC:
- Social Work Research
- Applied Social Work Research
- Human Behavior and the Social Environment