Professional Licences & Certifications
- 2009 | New York State Counterterrorism Law Enforcement Instructor
- 2006 | Federal Bureau of Investigation Instructor
- 2003 | Police Supervision Certification
- 1998 | Federal Criminal Investigator Certification
- 1993 | New York State Full Time Police Officer Certification
Professional Experience Teaching & Instructing
- FBI and New York State Counterterrorism Instructor – Responsible for training federal and state law enforcement officers in all aspects of counterterrorism investigations.
- Experienced college level lecturer with an expertise in Sunni Islamic terrorist groups,
counterterrorism trends, Arab culture, Islam and militant Islam
- Developed and currently instruct a twenty-four hour counterterrorism and contemporary issue school offered for college credit hours at the Monroe County Public safety Training Center
Reaching At-Risk Populations: Countering the Threat of Homegrown Violent Extremism Security Journal, Palgrave Journals- Manuscript (in process)
Professional Experience/ Law Enforcement
1999-Present, Town of Greece Police Department, Rochester, New York
Counterterrorism Investigator (2001-present)
Assigned to the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force – Responsibilities include conducting high level national security investigations, intelligence analysis, research, community liaison. Currently possess a Top Secret security clearance with a single scope counterintelligence polygraph.
1998 to 1999, United States Customs Service, Department of the Treasury, Miami, Florida
Special Agent, Criminal Investigative Division.
Completed Criminal Investigator Training Program; Special Agent assigned to work complex federal money laundering and narcotics investigations.
1993 to 1998, Town of Brighton Police Department, Rochester, New York
Police Officer/Narcotics Investigator.
Experienced in all aspects of police work and street level patrol. Expertise in criminal investigations and interview and interrogations.
Narcotics investigator assigned to the Multi Agency Drug Task Force- Conducted major narcotics investigations. Obtained a proficiency in search warrant drafting, covert surveillance and use of informants.
1991 to 1993, Monroe County Sheriff’s Department, Rochester, New York
Intake of prisoners and general housing duties.
- 2010 Excellence in Police Service
- 2009 St John Fisher College Summa Cum Laude Graduate
- 2009 FBI Certificate of Recognition Counterterrorism Instructor
- 2008 FBI Certificate of Recognition Major Counterterrorism Investigation
- 2002 Monroe County Crime Victims Council Victim Advocate award
- 1995 Excellence in Police Service
- 1990 Alpha Phi Sigma Criminal Justice Honor Society
- 2008, Western NY Terrorism Trends. Operational Presentation at National Counterterrorism Center, Mclean, Virginia
- 2006, Western NY Terrorism Trends. Operational Presentation at National Counterterrorism Center, Mclean, Virginia
State and Regional Conferences
- 2012, Terrorism: Law Enforcement Awareness. Central New York NYSP Counter Terrorism Zone Regional Conference, Syracuse, New York
- 2012, Terrorism: International and Domestic. Great Lakes Leadership Seminar, Niagara Falls, New York
- 2011, Terrorism Threat: Law Enforcement Response. Sole Instructor Monroe County Public Safety Training Center, Rochester, New York
- 2010, Imperialism, World Conflict and the Remilitarization of Jihad. Sole Presenter Monroe County Public Safety Training Center, Rochester, New York
- 2007, Terrorist Ideologies: Understanding the True Enemy. Presenter RIT Campus Security Seminar, Rochester, New York.
- 2007, Understanding Radicalization in the West. Western
New York NYSP Counter Terrorism Zone Regional Conference, Mt Morris, New York
- 2006, Terrorist Ideologies: Understanding the True Enemy. Presenter St. John Fisher Campus Security Seminar, Rochester, New York.
Invited Addresses, Workshops, Seminars
- 2012, The Current Nature of Global Terrorism. Speaker Roberts Wesleyan College, Rochester, New York
- 2012, Introduction to International and Domestic Terrorism. Presenter FBI Citizens Academy, Buffalo, New York
- 2012, International and Domestic Terrorism: Intelligence and the Local Police Officer. Presenter Rochester City Police Department Training Public Safety Training Facility Seminar, Rochester, New York
- 2010, History of Terrorism: The True Enemy. Speaker Roberts Wesleyan College, Rochester, New York
- 2010, Understanding Islam: Increasing a Christian’s Ability to Dialogue. Presenter Webster Bible Church, Webster, New York
- 2010, Understanding World Religions and Interfaith Relations: Comparative Analysis of the Islamic and Christian Just War Concepts. Presenter Nazareth College, Rochester, New York
- 2010, Understanding the Ideologies behind the Terror. Presenter AERO Club of Buffalo Annual Seminar, Niagara Falls, New York
- 2008, Remaining Vigilant. Key Note Speaker, RIT Air Force ROTC
Graduation Commencement, Rochester, New York
- 2008, One God Three Faiths: Understanding World Religions. Presenter Wegman’s Security Seminar Rochester, New York
I combine practitioner experience with intellectual curiosity and a passion for pedagogy. I am blessed to be part of the Roberts Wesleyan community, and I feel honored to help educate the law enforcement professionals of tomorrow. My unique practitioner experience includes:
Rochester Joint Terrorism Task Force
- September 2001 - May 2014 (12 years 9 months)
- Over 13 years of major federal counterterrorism and criminal investigation experience.
Town of Greece Police Department
- May 1998 - May 2014 (16 years 1 month)
- Conducted state felony criminal investigations
- New York State Department of Criminal Justice Services certified general topic and counterterrorism police instructor.
Monroe County Public Safety Training Facility
- January 2005 - 2014 (9 years) Rochester, NY area
- Accomplished law enforcement instructor. Certified at the state and federal levels. Areas of expertise include, but not limited to, terrorism origins and ideologies, counterterrorism investigations, criminal investigation, crime victims, ethics, and cross cultural communications.
Subject Matter Expert Public Appearances
WXXI News Connections: Local Counter Terrorism Expert Says Defeating ISIS is About More Than Increasing Intelligence
WXXI News Connections: Learn How and Why Law Enforcement Makes Decisions
WXXI News Connections: The Ferguson Report
WXXI Connections: Police Responses to Violent Situations
News10NBC: Expert Advice after attacks in France
WXXI News Connections: Expert Advice after attacks in France
WHEC: Local students concerned about campus safety after Oregon shooting
WHEC: Cuomo urges NYers to be alert as federal government issues terror warning for July 4 weekend
WHEC: Counter-terrorism experts talk about Charleston shooting
WHEC: Federal officials: if you see something, say something, after ISIS threats
Congressional Record: Recognizing the efforts of the FBI and task force personnel and related agencies in the Buffalo investigation of the Lackawanna Six