English For Speakers of Other Languages
English for Speakers of Other Languages I [Lecture] (3.0) (Liberal Arts)
This language course is designed for non-native speakers of English. The course focuses on both basic interpersonal communication skills and cognitive academic learning proficiency. The integrated course includes listening, speaking, reading, writing, American cultural studies, and the survival skills needed for participation in college activities. One to three additional class hours per week may be required for small-group work.
English for Speakers of Other Languages II [Lecture] (3.0) (Liberal Arts)
This continuation of English for Speakers of Other Languages I furthers the development of English language skills and an understanding of American culture. One to three additional class hours per week may be required for small-group work.
Prerequisite: ESL 101 or permission of the instructor.
English for Speakers of Other Languages III [Lecture] (3.0) (Liberal Arts)
This advanced course is designed to increase English language acquisition and American cultural understanding. Emphasis is on vocabulary, grammar, and writing.
Prerequisite: ESL 102 or permission of the instructor.
Independent Study: English for Speakers of Other Languages [Independent Study] (1.0-3.0) (Liberal Arts)
Independent study provides opportunity to pursue advanced or special-interest topics not covered in the curriculum.
1. Junior standing.
2. A minimum of 9 semester hours in the discipline of the Independent Study.
3. A minimum grade point average of 2.50 in the discipline.
4. Proof of motivation and ability to work independently.
5. Approval of the department in which the study is to be taken.
6. Permission from the student's advisor, the course instructor, the Department Chair, the Academic Dean, and the Registrar.